Stan the Van Man
Miss Mickle’s Post Shop is in chaos. Her van driver has walked off the job, the parcel sack is overflowing and there’s no-one to deliver the mail. When her neighbour Stan offers to help out, Miss Mickle thinks he could be her knight in shining armour. But Stan’s hiding a secret… he can’t read. And now it seems his secret might throw Miss Mickle’s postal service into even more chaos than before…
Told in rhyming verse, Stan the Van Man was the recipient of the 2014 Storylines Joy Cowley Award. With illustrations by Philip Webb, this is a heart warming tale recommended for children aged 4-8- or anyone who wants to celebrate the joy of reading.
- Paperback: 32 pages
- Publisher: Scholastic New Zealand (1 Aug. 2015)
- ISBN-10: 1775433072
Listen to Stan the Van Man read by Lloyd Scott for Radio New Zealand's Treasure Box Series
What the reviewers said:
- The Reader: "t’s a bright colourful book with rhyming text which keeps a child’s interest"
- My Best Friends are Books: "Stan the Van Man is a lot of fun to read! The rhyming text flows well and the language is wonderful"
- Kiwireviews.co.nz: "A great book for kindergartens and new entrant classrooms especially in rural areas where the mail man and his van are well known."
- Otago Daily Times: "A simple story with various messages to mull over."